Thursday, October 8, 2009

readings

The first essay “General Apache” is a story that is hard for me to relate to because I do not know any Vietnam vets, and I am not an educator so I cannot relate to that part as well. Maybe someday if I become one of those things I could relate to it but at the moment I am young and I have not experienced a lot of things. I thought it was a pretty good story though. I found it to be a very easy read. The story does not relate to the life of an average college student anymore maybe in the late 60’s or early 70’s I can see it being relevant to the life of a college student because it just happened. I thought the poem was really good. I could picture the story in my mind while I was reading it. It defiantly reminded me of Rambo.
The second essay “simplicity” is defiantly a bash on how Americans write. I honestly wish the guy would use lest contractions because I find them as annoying as he finds unnecessary words. It was a fun read a little easier to relate too unlike the first. The way he told us to simplify our writing made a lot of sense because we do use words that are unnecessary for writing papers. I do not really believe that it makes it harder for a reader to follow the story because I doubt most readers are that dumb. Yeah some words in papers are not needed but that is what makes writing papers fun. When you are able to add fun adjectives and adverbs to help describe the idea in your head, it is what makes writing anything a fantastic experience. If we did not need these words than why is it correct grammar to use them, we all know we love to use these things in our speech when we are telling some sort of story or epic tale. I have used a lot of words in this blog that do not need to be used but I used them anyway. I think words can never be unnecessary because it could show some individuality in a paper or poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment