Thursday, September 3, 2009

intro letter

My name is Peter Doty; I have not been much of a writer besides writing the papers for my English classes. Writing has never been a thing that I have done very well. My favorite type of papers to write are research papers, because people will always learn something new when they write them. I dislike compare and contrast papers; I find them to be tedious and annoying.

I do not speak any other languages besides English. I have tried to learn Spanish while I was in high school, but it did not stay with me. I find language to be a very interesting thing. I am very curious about languages; especially when it comes to accents. I would like to learn a foreign language, but I do not think I will be able to do it.

I have come to Humboldt State to study molecular biology. I have chosen this major because I want to go to medical school after this experience is over. The study of the human body interests me because it is a very complex machine. The way all the organs and systems work together to create a human I find amazing.

My weaknesses as a student are that my handwriting is terrible, and that I have trouble paying attention while I am in class. My strengths as a student are that I am a fast learner and I have a very good memory. I am a learner that needs to see or hear something to learn it quickly. I can also learn from reading it; but it takes longer for me to learn the material.

My favorite quote about education was said by John F. Kennedy. “Let us think of education as the means of developing our greatest abilities, because in each of us there is a private hope and dream which, fulfilled, can be translated into benefit for everyone and greater strength for our nation”.

1 comment:

  1. Peter, you have chosen one of my favorite quotes of all time!

    It sounds like you had plenty of insight into your learning style well before you took the learning styles assessment. I like how you took what you liked from that assessment and found a way to build on the strengths you already know you have.

    You wrote: "My favorite type of papers to write are research papers, because people will always learn something new when they write them." You have hit on one of the key points about this class: that writing is a knowledge-building activity. In essence, our minds are in dialogue with what is written on the page in front of us, even when we are the ones doing the writing.

    ReplyDelete